What should I do when an injury/illness occurs?

1. Determine what type of medical care is needed. If the situation is life threatening call 911 and follow instructions from emergency personnel.

2. If the situation is not life threatening the employee should be directed to Employee Health. Students, both employees and others, should be directed to Student Health. If medical care is not needed immediately, an appointment with Employee or Student Health should be made.

3. If the injury or illness occurs before or after regular work hours and the employee or student needs immediate attention he/she should be directed to Sutter Davis Hospital Emergency Room (756-6440) or the closest emergency room if the incident occurs outside of Davis. If an employee has designated their personal physician to treat them, prior to the injury, they may be treated by that MD/DO.

Employee Health

501 Oak Avenue (corner of Russell Blvd and Oak Avenue, directly across the street from intramural athletic field)

Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday Tuesday Thursday and Friday

9:00 am - 5:00 PM Wednesday

Telephone: 752-2330

Sutter Davis Hospital Urgent Care and Emergency: 756-6440

Cowell Student Health Center

Phone :752-2300 or after hours 752-2311

Located on the North side of campus on California Avenue (in between Regan Hall Drive and Beckett Hall Drive)

Now that the crisis is over, what do I do?

Injury or Illness Reporting Procedures

Contact the V&E Safety Coordinator, Lucy Joseph 752-1809, for assistance with any of the following.

Death or serious injury/illness, requiring hospitalization, should be reported to CAL/OSHA within 8 hours. Contact EH&S at 752-1493 and Workers Compensation (WC) at 757-3266 to begin the process of informing CAL/OSHA as soon as possible.

Injury or illness that does not require hospitalization but requires medical care should be reported and investigated. The WC Unit should be notified within 24 hours of the events, and the accident investigation completed within 72 hours. Investigate the accident and obtain all of the details possible. Complete the Employer’s Report of Injury/Illness form and FAX it to WC at 757-7779 and send an original copy to them by Campus Mail or at 501 Oak Ave.

What to Expect Next

Any time an employee goes to Employee Health with an “on the job” injury a Workers’ Compensation Claim will be filed. This does not mean that the claim will be paid or that the University will be held liable. The claim will be reviewed. Expect to have to file paper work for this case. A company that handles Workers Compensation claims will be assigned to handle each case.

If a serious injury or illness requiring hospitalization occurs CAL/OSHA will come and conduct an investigation. This is routine so do not feel defensive. They will ask to see our IIPP (Illness and Injury Prevention Plan) because they are required to do so by law. They will interview the employee’s supervisor and any personnel who were involved or witnessed the incident. Tell what you know, simply and clearly. Do not speculate about causes or circumstances if you do not have facts or direct knowledge. Be cooperative. They may ask to see training records and any internal documents pertaining to the incident, such as the Employer’s Record of Injury/Illness. Accident logs should be kept in each lab/office/work area and forms are included in your IIPP binder.

PDF File IIPP.pdf