Logo

Confrerie de la Chaine des Rotisseurs

The Chaîne des Rôtisseurs is an international gastronomic society founded in Paris in 1950. It is devoted to promoting fine dining and preserving the camaraderie and pleasures of the table. The Chaîne is based on the traditions and practices of the old French royal guild (corporation in french) of goose roasters, birds that were particularly appreciated in that epoch. Its authority gradually expanded to the roasting of all poultry, meat and game. The written history of "Les Ayers" has been traced back to the year 1248.

In 1610, the corporation was granted a royal charter and coat of arms. The arms consist of two crossed turning spits and four larding needles, surrounded by flames of the hearth on a shield encircled by fleur-de-lis and a chain representing the mechanism used to turn the spit. The outer chain along with the legend was added in 1950 to represent the bond which unites the members of our society.

Today, the society has members in more than 70 countries around the world. In the U.S., there are nearly 150 bailliages (English "bailiwick") headed by a bailli ("bailiff") and other officers who plan the individual chapter's activities. The U.S. society is governed by a national Board of Directors and a National Council which, in general, follow the programs and policies set forth by the international society headquartered in Paris.

The scholarship is to support students in the V&E Department.