Grade changes

Contact Advising Office - 1204 RMI South Building

Tiffany Johnson, 530-754-8368, tifjohnson@ucdavis.edu

Judy Blevins, 530-752-8035, jlblevins@ucdavis.edu


Grades may not be changed once they have been submitted to the Office of the University Registrar unless

1) a clerical error has been made
2) a procedural error has affected the student's grade.

Requests must be made by the fifth week of the following quarter. The Academic Senate Committee on Grade Changes reviews requests for grade changes and has no authority to reevaluate student work, but can change the grade if it finds a documented clerical or procedural error.

If the alleged procedural error involves arbitrary treatment or prohibited discrimination, the Grade Change Committee may refer the case to Student-Faculty Relation web site at http://sja.ucdavis.edu for more information.

Incomplete Grades

The grade of I may be assigned when a student's work is of passing quality and represents a significant portion of the requirements for a final grade, but is incomplete for a good cause as determined by the instructor. (Good cause may include current illness, serious personal problems, an accident, a recent death in the immediate family, a large and necessary increase in working hours or other situations of equal gravity.) You may replace an I grade with a passing grade and receive unit credit (and grade points if the instructor assigns a letter grade) provided you satisfactorily complete the course work as specified by the instructor. In order to change your records, you must obtain an "I Grade Petition" from the Office of the University Registrar, or major program department and present it to your instructor for completion and mailing. An I grade must be replaced with a letter grade (or P or S grade) before the end of the third succeeding quarter (excluding summer sessions) of the student's academic residence, or the grade will revert to an F (or NP or U). If a student's degree is conferred before the expiration of the time limit for an I-grade conversion, the graduated student shall have until the end of the third quarter succeeding the quarter in which the I grade was assigned to replace the I grade. If the grade is not replaced by then, the I grade will remain on the student's record. You may not re-enroll for credit in a course for which an I grade has been assigned. An undergraduate student whose record shows more than 16 units of I grades will be subject to disqualification. A graduate student who accumulates more than eight units of I grades will be subject to probation. Incomplete grades will not be included in your grade point average at the end of a quarter. However, at the time of graduation, any remaining I grades are included when your grade point average is computed in order to determine whether you have achieved the 2.0 average required for the bachelor's degree. An Incomplete grade, in these computations, has the same effect as a grade F, NP or U, depending on which option you have exercised.