Welcome 'Guest' to the Department of Viticulture & Enology Employment Bulletin Board
New Job Listings provided by the industry will be posted here for our students and alumni to view.
Return to Main List
|Title||Seasonal Lab Assistant|
|Employer||Hahn Family Wines|
|Employment Location||Hahn Estate Winery, Soledad, CA 93960|
|Company Description||Hahn Family Wines is an independent, family-owned wine company focused on growing and producing ultra-premium and luxury wines of place. We source from our own estate in the cool climate areas of Monterey County and from select growers in California.|
|Employment Start Date||Early August 2018|
|Employment End Date||Thru end of November 2018|
|Job Description|| Hahn Family Wines is seeking a full-time, Seasonal Laboratory Assistant who is passionate about wine, to join our team for the 2018 Harvest. We are looking for a hard-working, motivated and energetic team player with basic wine knowledge to perform a variety of lab and production duties at our winery in Soledad, California. The position reports to our winemaking team and will last from August thru November.|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Perform grape maturity, juice, and wine analysis according to Standard Operating Procedures
• Run brix, TA, pH on grape maturity samples
• Assist in laboratory wine analysis: FSO2, VA, Alcohol, RS, and use FOSS equipment
• Responsible for the review and accuracy of all lab analysis
• Performs standard checks and analysis of wines and juice
• Cleans and standardizes laboratory instruments
• Performs rechecks as required to confirm abnormal results
• Performs yeast additions and nutrient additions to juice
• Strong organizational skills with attention to detail.
• Ability to coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously
• Communicates effectively with other team members
• Notifies winemaker of sluggish fermentation or other wine quality issues in tank and bins
• Performs other duties in the cellar as assigned by winemaking staff, such as receiving fruit, pump overs/punch downs, barrel work, drain and press, cleaning and sanitizing, and other tasks as needed
• Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time, as required by job duties
• Must be able to work safely, both indoors and out, in all weather conditions
• Must be able to climb stairs and ladders safely, and work at heights on catwalks as required
• Must be able to safely lift & carry up to 50 lbs. repetitively
• Must work overtime, nights and weekends as required. Must be willing and able to cover any shift with reasonable notice.
• Must be 21 years of age
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Competencies and Requirements
• Prior lab experience in a production environment preferred; cellar experience a plus
• Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office and Excel
• Knowledge of FOSS desired, but not required
• Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills with ability to effectively present information
• Ability to communicate effectively in English, spoken and written
• Good math skills
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team; team player a must
• Flexible, versatile, and willingness to work with others
• Ability to manage priorities and workflow, reliable self-starter
• Ability to drive and operate vehicle with valid driver’s license and ability to become and maintain status of Authorized Company Driver
• Position will be exposed to indoor and outdoor environments with varying noise levels
• Employee is exposed to wet or humid conditions and to inclement seasonal weather, summer heat, cold weather, rain
• Ability to perform tasks requiring repetitive bending, stooping, and twisting in the performance of various task in the warehouse environment
Must be able to lift and carry weights up to 60 pounds, repeatedly
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear, sits for prolong periods of time to perform data entry and/or lab tasks; walks on uneven hard and/or wet surfaces, stands for extended periods of time; use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arm. The employee frequently is required taste and smell wine, climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or repetitively carry and move, push and/or pull up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, at least 20” or less, distance vision, color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors), peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Finger dexterity is required to operate a computer keyboard, calculator and other lab, office and IT equipment.
Hahn Family Wines offers a competitive hourly wage. For immediate consideration, experienced applicants please email a cover letter with hourly wage requirements along with your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Lab Assistant Harvest 2018” in SUBJECT line of your email. Only applicants that include wage requirements will be considered. All resumes submitted will be held in confidence.
We will contact all eligible candidates, please do not contact us.
The purpose of this summary is to describe the essential job functions and the level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position. This description is not an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by this position. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties from particular jobs and assign other duties as necessary.
|Contact Info||For immediate consideration, experienced applicants please email a cover letter with hourly wage requirements along with your resume to: email@example.com. Please indicate “Lab Assistant Harvest 2018” in SUBJECT line of your email. Only applicants that include wage requirements will be considered. All resumes submitted will be held in confidence.|
|Contact Address|| P.O. Box C |
Soledad, CA 93960
Return to Main List