Welcome 'Guest' to the Department of Viticulture & Enology Employment Bulletin Board
New Job Listings provided by the industry will be posted here for our students and alumni to view.
Return to Main List
|Employment Location||Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts, United States, 02130|
|Company Description||Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. Harvard University is a private university in Cambridge, Massachusetts, U.S., and a member of the Ivy League. Founded in 1636 by the colonial Massachusetts legislature, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher learning in the United States. It is also the first and oldest corporation in North America.|
|Employment Start Date||06/12/2018|
|Employment End Date||09/10/2018|
|Job Description|| Harvard University|
Duties & Responsibilities
A research assistant position is available at the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University. The position reports to William (Ned) Friedman, Director of the Arnold Arboretum and Arnold Professor of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology (70% of time) and to Faye Rosin, Director of Research Facilitation (30% of time). The Friedman lab covers a broad range of projects (e.g. origin and evolution of flowering plants, plant evo-devo, plant fertilization biology and embryology) and methods (histology and various types of microscopy, molecular biology, greenhouse studies).
The research assistant will work closely with the Principal Investigator and Friedman Lab graduate students on a variety of research projects, while providing support to the Director of Research Facilitation by performing a variety of lab maintenance duties. This position offers an early-career individual the opportunity to improve his or her research and technical skills while studying organismic and evolutionary biology among the Arnold Arboretum's renowned collection of woody plants. Additionally, the research assistant will interact with researchers and visiting scholars working across a broad range of plant biology-related disciplines at the Weld Hill research facilities.
The lab is located at the Weld Hill Research Building at the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University (in Boston) and all applicants must be able to work from this facility. This is a two year term position, pending a satisfactory progress report at the end of the first year. The successful candidate is expected to begin in August of 2018.
1. Performs laboratory experiments involving histological preparation, light and fluorescence microscopy, confocal microscopy, and scanning electron microscopy;
2. Performs fieldwork and sample collection on Arboretum grounds;
3. Collects and analyzes developmental data;
4. Processes, organizes and summarizes data, reporting experiment results using a variety of scientific, image editing, word processing, spreadsheet or statistical software applications or program platforms;
5. Assists in the design of laboratory experiments, techniques, and protocols;
6. May instruct other staff and students in basic laboratory techniques and safety protocols;
7. Performs weekly workspace and hazardous waste accumulation area inspection;
8. Performs related laboratory maintenance such as monitoring and maintaining equipment, ordering and inventorying chemicals and supplies;
9. Assists with weekly sample collection for Arboretum's National Atmospheric Deposition Program (NADP) monitoring site;
10. Assists with facilitation of undergraduate and graduate education programs as needed;
11. Assists with additional user- and equipment-related lab needs as needed.
Candidates MUST meet the following basic qualifications in order to be considered for this role:
Education: College background in Biology or equivalent work experience required.
Skills and Experience:
One to two years related work experience (relevant course work may count towards experience). Demonstrated basic abilities in laboratory techniques required, histology and microscopy skills desirable. Exposure to applicable computer technologies, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, is required. Effective written and verbal communications skills required.
May be required to lift, move and transport related laboratory equipment. May be required to work with a variety of hazardous materials.
USA - MA - Jamaica Plain
55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
Appointment End Date
Monday through Friday, 35 hours per/wk
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/sbcydpn7fs6gbnt9
|Contact Info||Apply Online|
|Contact Address||Apply Online|
Return to Main List