Welcome 'Guest' to the Department of Viticulture & Enology Employment Bulletin Board
New Job Listings provided by the industry will be posted here for our students and alumni to view.
Return to Main List
|Employer||Hamel Family Wines|
|Employment Location||Sonoma, CA|
|Company Description||Hamel Family Wines is a winery located in Sonoma Valley that produces approximately 5,000 cases of wine per year and is devoted to the production of wines from estate biodynamic and organic vineyards that express a true sense of purpose, place and the fun that was had in making them.|
|Pay Scale||Compensation will be a salary that is commensurate with experience, and includes benefits.|
|Employment Start Date||Early summer 2018|
|Job Description|| Hamel Family Wines, located in Sonoma Valley, California, is seeking a Cellar Master to assist its winemaking team in annual winery and harvest operations. The position will implement winery and cellar duties with the goal of maintaining the highest level of winemaking quality and cellar organization and sanitation. Successful candidates will share a passion for wine, an interest in organic grape growing and quality focused winemaking practices, be prepared to work hard in a team-oriented, exacting work environment, and willing to work long, concentrated hours when necessary. The position will report on a day-to-day basis to the Winery Production Manager, and to the Managing Director of Winegrowing generally. During harvest, the position will assist in the management of seasonal interns.|
The person must have experience successfully working in premium wineries, and an academic background in enology, chemistry, food science or a related field is highly preferred. The candidate must also be a high-energy team player who enjoys being part of a successful, growing family business.
|Contact Info||Interested candidates, please send a cover letter and resume to Brian at Brian@hamelfamilywines.com|
|Contact Address|| 15401 Sonoma Highway|
Sonoma, CA 95476
|Other Information|| Cellar Master Responsibilities|
• Implement all winemaking objectives under the Winery Production Manager’s direction including blending, racking, bottling, topping and filtration in the non-harvest period and execute grape processing, sorting, fermentation management and pressing during harvest;
• Assist in management of interns during harvest period;
• Execute all work with a high standard of winery sanitation;
• Ensure all equipment, barrels and supplies are organized and clean;
• Help to maintain accurate inventory of wine and barrels on a monthly basis;
• Ensure safety protocols are sustained in all winemaking activities;
• Facilitate winemaking tastings and trials by pulling winery samples;
• Perform basic laboratory tasks;
• Other duties as assigned.
Depending on the seasonal demand, the position will require long hours at the winery including weekends and evenings.
Cellar Master Qualifications
• Proven experience with winemaking and cellar practices at established wineries;
• Enology, chemistry or food sciences degree preferred;
• Basic winery laboratory abilities preferred;
• Enthusiasm and ability to engage in all cellar tasks;
• Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment;
• Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to prioritize and produce desired results, meet deadlines, and stay on top of deliverables;
• Conversational fluency in Spanish strongly preferred;
• Ability to lift 50 lbs.;
• Forklift certification;
• Valid driver’s license;
Prociency with Microsoft Excel.
Return to Main List