Welcome 'Guest' to the Department of Viticulture & Enology Employment Bulletin Board
New Job Listings provided by the industry will be posted here for our students and alumni to view.
Return to Main List
|Employer||Robert Sinskey Vineyards|
|Employment Location||Napa Valley|
|Company Description||We are an organic and biodynamic farming operation with diverse cropping systems including vineyards, fruit orchards, olive orchards, and truffle orchards|
|Employment Start Date||asap|
|Job Description|| Viticulture Technician|
SCOPE: Under the direction of the Farming Operations Manager, this position provides viticulture and administrative support to maintain the day-to-day operations of RSV’s 200-acre certified organic vineyards and orchards (fruit, olive and truffle). Tasks may include, but are not limited to: data collection and data entry, pest/disease monitoring and control, irrigation scheduling, harvest sugar sampling, and farming operations payroll.
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
• Participate in all aspects of vineyard and orchard management programs, including:
o pest and disease monitoring and control (place, monitor and maintain pest traps including Olive Fruit Fly, Apple Coddling Moth and other emerging pests)
o Retrieve and release beneficial insects (Anagyrus, etc.)
o Daily scouting of vineyards (during growing season) to provide observation reports, communicating concerns immediately to the Farming Operations Manager.
o Prepare BD 500 (Collect organic cow manure from Mulas Dairy, pack into horns and bury)
o Prepare BD 501 (Purchase silica, pack into horns and bury)
• Perform data collection and data entry for vineyard management programs, including:
o cluster counts and lag phase weights for yield estimation
o tissue sampling (at bloom and veraison)
o Spring soil sampling for nutrient management
o weekly LWP (“pressure bomb”) readings for irrigation scheduling
o monthly reservoir level monitoring for water rights permits
o Domestic water pipeline monitoring (Capa-Congress Valley) for leaks, etc.
o field sampling and lab analysis for grape maturity in coordination with the Winemaker during Harvest
o Annual Root sampling of Truffle orchard
• Utilize Premiere Vision online database, as well as maintain and develop other systems as necessary, to keep permanent records of all vineyard programs including: pest and disease control, canopy management, irrigation scheduling, nutritional management, vineyard floor/soils management, pruning regimes, yield/quality optimization, yield estimation and frost damage prevention.
• Assist Farming Operations Manager with office administration and human resources, including:
o biweekly time sheet data entry for payroll
o producing quarterly production/labor summaries
o data entry of daily worker reports
• Assist Farming Operations Manager to maintain good neighbor relations by:
o Notification of neighbors of sprays, night harvest (and other activities)
o Update neighbor notification lists, as needed
• Assist in maintaining OSHA compliance through shop inspections, record keeping, and maintaining required postings
• Assist in employee educational programs, including Safety Trainings
• Assist Farming Operations Manager in preparing for, and during, OSHA, CCOF, etc., inspections
• Assist Farming Operations Manager in pesticide use record keeping, including regular and timely posting of sprays/ dustings and by filing out and submitting Pesticide Use Reports monthly.
• Produce harvest crew sheets and maintain Harvest binder with weigh tags and harvest crew sheets during Harvest.
• Assist Farming Operations Manager to maintain cutting-edge knowledge of industry developments and research by:
o maintaining contacts with various local technical groups
o maintaining contacts with UC and UC Extension researchers
o coordinating and encouraging on-site field trials that further vineyard goals of quality and sustainability, organic farming and biodynamics
o researching current trends in organic vineyard management and implementing successful techniques
• Provide management and leadership to the vineyard team, encouraging teamwork, communication and adoption of the company's values in terms of work ethics and quality aspirations.
• Assist with company marketing, including visitor programs, vineyard tours, and attending trade and consumer events as required.
• Other duties as required
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
• Must be able to work outdoors and with unexpected changes in temperature/weather conditions
• Might occasionally work around hazardous materials and equipment
• Occasional exposure to loud noise
• Ability to remain in seated position for long periods of time, such as at a desk
• Must be able to operate a computer and key board with frequent handling/fingering movements
• Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs. and push & pull at least 50 lbs.
• Must be able to squat, kneel, bend, reach out & above shoulders
• Must be able to stand, climb & walk on uneven surfaces frequently
• Must be able to walk and drive over rough terrain
• Frequent travel required
• Occasional prolonged physical activity required including standing, sitting, climbing, squatting, kneeling, bending, mixing, loading, reaching, lifting and walking on uneven ground for prolonged periods of time.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
• B.S. or equivalent in viticulture or related field or equivalent general viticulture experience
• At least one year of pest monitoring and identification experience
• Excellent managerial, organizational and communication skills and willingness to learn new skills
• Some familiarity with farming equipment and tools, including ATVs and tractors, preferred
• Must be highly familiar with computers, including database management, spreadsheets and word processing
• Must be organized and self-motivated
• Must be willing to work flexible schedule with extended hours, including weekends
• Valid California driver’s license with clean record
• Bilingual English/Spanish a plus
|Contact Info||Please send resume, cover letter and references to email@example.com|
|Contact Address||6320 Silverado Trail Napa, CA 94558|
Return to Main List