Welcome 'Guest' to the Department of Viticulture & Enology Employment Bulletin Board
New Job Listings provided by the industry will be posted here for our students and alumni to view.
Return to Main List
|Employer||Scheid Family Wines|
|Employment Location||Monterey County California|
|Company Description||46 years of farming 4,000 acres of vineyards in Monterey County!|
|Pay Scale||$75,000 to $100,000|
|Employment Start Date||11/20/2017|
|Employment End Date||N/A|
|Job Description|| SUMMARY: The Viticulturist manages Scheid Family Wines vineyard farming and viticulture practices. The viticulturist collaborates and work closely with vineyard management and the viticulture team. This individual will utilize their technical viticulture expertise, combined with solid agricultural techniques to promote vine health and sustainability, crop yield and the quality of the fruit that is produced. Maintains and continues to develop our commitment to sustainable farming practices.|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Manage Scheid Family Wines (SFW) Branded Wines vineyard farming and viticulture practices including the following:
o Collaborate on the planning and budgeting, implement the plan and manage the costs.
o Oversee Pruning, tying, shoot thinning, shoot positioning, trellis and canopy manipulation, suckering, weed control, cultivation, crop estimation, crop thinning, irrigation scheduling, nutrition, pest and fungicide management and harvest coordination.
o Coordinate supervision and labor to implement the vineyard operations including managing foremen/crew leaders from SVI and LCs. Manage SVI employees in coordination with HR and implementing the CBA.
o Coordinate with area Vineyard Supervisors for work appropriately performed by their operations
o Aspire to manage the vineyard blocks producing core Branded Wines such as D7, Ryder, Ranch 32, Metz and others as brand values drive farming inputs
o Manage reserve winery selected Estate Rows
• Active member of the PCA and Viticulture Team providing input from core competencies such as vine nutrition, pest management and other inputs that strengthen the team’s approach to farming decisions.
o Develop and implement nutrition programs and validate results through petiole analysis and other diagnostic processes.
o Develop and implement pest prevention programs including:
? Soil borne pests
? Mealy bugs, mites, leaf hopper etc.
? Fungicides and Botrytis
? Eutypa and related diseases
continued from page 1
• Manage trial blocks and experimental varieties and techniques
o Take over the viticulture role for special plantings such as head trained vines in San Lucas
o Trial blocks for quality enhancements in Riverview Vineyard
o Nutrition trials and all trials that are advancing wine quality
o Work directly with the winemaking team
o Implementation of viticulture technologies aimed at increasing production and quality
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• BS Degree or greater in viticulture, plant science, horticulture, agronomy or related discipline. Advance degree a plus, but not required
• 3 to 5 years viticulture experience or combination with directly related vineyard experience. Experience with vineyard operations, farming or agriculture related experience a plus.
• PCA license or ability to gain a PCA license within the first 12 months preferred
• Demonstrated solid knowledge of viticulture practices
• Strong partnering skills and ability to work with in a team
• Computer skills including MS Office, and practical competence with agriculture oriented computer applications.
• Rudimentary understanding of winemaking to assist with understanding winegrowing goals and fruit/wine quality grading.
• Ability to work overtime (extended hours and weekends) as required.
• Ability to understand any and all safety requirements
• Clean DMV record
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Frequently required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects and/or keyboard. Required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, or crouch. Must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. This job requires use of the computer and phone.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a complete listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities or activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Scheid Vineyards, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Interested candidates should submit a résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
|Contact Info||Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com|
|Contact Address|| 1972 Hobson Avenue|
Greenfield, CA 93927
Return to Main List