Welcome 'Guest' to the Department of Viticulture & Enology Employment Bulletin Board
New Job Listings provided by the industry will be posted here for our students and alumni to view.
Return to Main List
|Title||Harvest Laboratory Intern|
|Employer||J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines|
|Employment Location||Greenfield, CA|
|Company Description||J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines is built on the three pillars of “Family, Place, and Craft.” We are dedicated to consistently, vintage-to-vintage, producing wines that are the finest examples of quality and flavor from our given appellations. We are committed to honesty, excellence and service, with respect for our employees, partners, customers, and the long-term health of our company and the environment.|
|Employment Start Date||August|
|Employment End Date||January|
|Job Description|| The Harvest Laboratory Intern is responsible for the efficient and professional execution of laboratory operations relating to the production of J. Lohr wines during the harvest, while promoting a team-oriented environment within the department and company. This position works with the Winemaker of White Wines and the Laboratory Technician to assure that the wines produced are of the highest quality and enhance the reputation of J. Lohr Winery. |
• Efficient and well-executed laboratory operations
• Timely and accurate laboratory reports
• Safe, productive, team-oriented work environment
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
QUALITY CONTROL: Works with Winemaker, White Wines and Laboratory Technician for accuracy of laboratory data generated at the winery, by maintaining reagents, calibrations of equipment, training and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
DAILY LABORATORY ANALYSIS: Performs the following chemical analyses as needed: total acidity (TA), pH, free sulfur dioxide (FSO2), NTU and DO, enzymatic tests for residual sugar (RS), malates, and volatile acidity, fining trials. Performs Foss analysis as needed.
HARVEST ANALYSIS: Works with Winemaker, White Wines and Laboratory Technician on the analysis of field samples and incoming fruit or juice including Brix, pH, TA, and YAN and malic acid. Checks brix, pH, and TA, Temp in degF, on alcoholic fermentations and monitors malolactic fermentations. Responsible for Dyostem sample preparation and analysis for white and red grapes in Greenfield.
SAMPLING: Collecting barrel or tank samples for analysis and/or tasting. Collecting random berry samples from VINEYARD for analysis or tasting.
LABORATORY PROCEDURES: Participates with laboratory and winemaking staff in the development of procedures that elevate the level of efficiency, consistency and quality of work. Assures the quality of J. Lohr wines by having an understanding of laboratory Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
RECORD KEEPING: Record, print, and distribute analysis, enzymatic procedures and results for RS and malic. Input all analysis into the Winemakers Data Base, the Fermentation Log and/or the Dyostem website daily and alerts the Winemaker, White Wines when they are entered.
SAFETY: Maintains a high level of safety awareness with all staff through ongoing meetings and training. Responsible for adherence to all safety procedures.
TEAMWORK: Adheres to and supports company policies and decisions in a positive manner. Cooperates with others to ensure the best overall results for J. Lohr Winery.
• Formal education in a laboratory science or 3 years equivalent winery experience is required. Prior seminar attendance and/or background in enology or fermentation desirable.
• Requires knowledge of laboratory activities and responsibilities and a basic understanding of the role that lab activities play in the creation of quality wine.
• Strong mathematical skills and attention to detail are required in order to calculate, understand, document, and record laboratory results.
• Excellent communication skills are required in order to work effectively with a variety of people including the winemaking and production crew.
• Strong computer skills, including efficient use of email, word processing and spreadsheets, as well as Internet research capabilities are required.
• Strong reasoning skills, judgment and problem-solving skills are required in order to respond effectively to changing situations, coordinate multiple activities, analyze and resolve problems.
• A valid Driver’s License with a driving record acceptable to the Winery’s insurance carrier is desirable for this position.
|Contact Info||Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com|
|Contact Address||The position is in Greenfield, CA|
Return to Main List