Welcome 'Guest' to the Department of Viticulture & Enology Employment Bulletin Board
New Job Listings provided by the industry will be posted here for our students and alumni to view.
Return to Main List
|Employment Location||Rutherford, CA|
|Employment Start Date||7/5/17|
|Employment End Date||12/22/17|
|Job Description|| Essential Duties and Responsibilities: |
1. Laboratory Duties (50%):
• Assist in obtaining samples requested from production staff
• Experimental monitoring and report
• Take samples of grapes, juice or wine as requested from bins, barrels, tanks, or bottles.
• Run routine analysis based on requests, including but not limited to: Temperature, brix, TA, pH, Malic acid, RS,CO2, O2, Density, VA, T&FSO2, modified Harbertson-Adams assay for grapes/wine with repeatability and accuracy
• Record analysis correctly electronically
• Check one’s own analysis numbers against previous analysis and repeat if necessary
• Alert supervisor to any abnormal results or those that might risk wine quality
• Monitor equipment, calibrate, notify supervisor if out of specifications
• Make additions, sample tanks for QC as needed
• Understand MSDS information sheets, hazardous material handling, wear PPE
• Respect all safety policies and procedures; insure correct operating status of safety equipment
• Weigh, measure, using scale, volumetric pipettes or flasks, graduated cylinders
• Monitor and record data for all white wine fermentations
2. Viticulture (45%)
• Designs and executes an experimental plan for a few pre-determined areas of interest
• Collects and records all the necessary data in all areas affecting the experiments
• Presents the data in a logical and meaningful manner, with interpretations of results
• Assists the vineyard team as necessary to ensure that the experiment parameters are met
3. Cellar Duties (5%)
• Assist the cellar staff by ensuring the procedures for experimental fermentations are followed
• Operating equipment to include: scale, centrifuge, spectrophotometer, water bath, titration, pH meter, aspirator, micro-pipette, UV-Vis spectrophotometer
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Education/Experience: BS Degree in Oenology or related International equivalent; or up to three years related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
• Autonomy - Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
• Creative - Ability to think in such a way as to produce a new concept or idea.
• Deductive Reasoning - Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
• Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
• Honesty / Integrity - Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
• Initiative - Ability to make decisions or take actions to solve a problem or reach a goal.
• Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
• Safety Awareness and Accountability - Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee safety, be responsible for personal safety and safety of others, adhere to company policies and procedures.
N (Not Applicable) - Activity is not applicable to this occupation
O (Occasionally) - Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0-2.5+hrs/day)
F (Frequently) - Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5-5.5+ hrs/day)
C(Constantly) - Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
Stand – O, Walk – O, Sit – O, Handling/Fingering – O, Reaching Outward – O, Reaching Above Shoulder – O, Climb – N, Crawl – N, Squat or Kneel –O, Bend – O, Working at the computer - O
10 lbs or Less, F
11 – 20 lbs, F
21 – 50 lbs, O
51 – 100 lbs, O
Over 100 lbs, N
12 lbs or Less, F
13-25 lbs, F
26-40 lbs, O
41-100 lbs, N
Other Physical Requirements
Vision (Near, Distance)
Sense of Sound (i.e. Machinery/tractor sounds)
Sense of Touch
Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) (Steel toe boots, safety glasses)
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, and outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is frequently loud. Employee works around dangerous, automatic machinery.
• Must be certified to drive/operate a forklift; in house training and certification will be completed as necessary to comply with Cal-OSHA regulations.
• Valid U.S. Driver’s License and clean DMV record required (if applicable)
• Forklift License or knowledge is a preferred but not essential
• English and Spanish skills preferred (Bilingual)
• Wine knowledge, Oenology and some Viticultural knowledge preferred
• Computer skills: Lotus Notes, Excel, Winemaker’s Database, Vintrace (VinX2), Filemaker Pro, Word
• Must be able to lift and carry heavy objects of 40 pounds (1 case of wine)
|Contact Info||Please use web link to apply for opening|
|Contact Address|| 1991 St. Helena Hwy|
Rutherford, CA 94573
Return to Main List