Welcome 'Guest' to the Department of Viticulture & Enology Employment Bulletin Board
New Job Listings provided by the industry will be posted here for our students and alumni to view.
Return to Main List
|Title||Lab Technician/Cellar Worker|
|Employer||Silver Oak and Twomey Cellars|
|Employment Location||Healdsburg, CA|
|Pay Scale||Competitive with benefits|
|Employment Start Date||3.1.2017|
|Job Description|| ABOUT US|
“We have yet to make our best bottle of wine.” This philosophy of constant improvement at Silver Oak and Twomey applies to everyone and everything we do, from grape to glass, production to sales and marketing. We live and breathe a company culture focused on a healthy work-life balance, positive thinking, collaboration, going above and beyond, education, safety and a sense of curiosity. Working at Silver Oak and Twomey comes with many benefits, but none as great as coming to work and feeling valued as a member of the family. Full time employment offers a competitive benefit and healthcare package; and of course, the wine country lifestyle!
Who are we looking for? Someone who is passionate, self-motivated, trustworthy, customer-focused and ready to work hard for an amazing company!
Silver Oak & Twomey Cellars is recruiting for a Lab Technician/Cellar Worker that will assist the lab and cellar teams in wine production of Pinot Noirs and Sauvignon Blac. This job is a compliment of both lab and cellar work depending on the time of year and the winemaking activities. This role will report to our Associate Winemaker/QC and is based in Healdsburg, CA. This position is regular full-time, benefit eligible and is an hourly, non-exempt position.
LAB RESPONSIBILITIES (70%):
• Perform all lab analysis which may include but is not limited to: ethanol, automated enzymatics (ML, RS, AA, nutrients, color, phenolics etc.), TA, pH, free and total sulfur, sanitation monitoring, and managing contract lab analysis as needed.
• Manage lab: ordering supplies, inventory, and budgets
• At Bottling time:
o Complete analysis on each tank to be bottled pre/post filtration.
o Quality control on all incoming packaging supplies: foils, glass, corks and cartons.
o Daily quality assurance to include: DO levels in tanks and bottles, free sulfur levels in each tank, CO?, cork moisture content, fill height accuracy, vacuum headspace pressure, overall quality of product as it is packed in cases, government compliance for final case good product.
o Record keeping, QC compliance, and inventory verification/recording in coordination with Cellar Master/Twomey Winemaker
• At Harvest time:
o Perform vineyard berry maturity sample analysis and juice analysis.
o Perform enzymatic analysis of RS, ML, nutrients.
o Maintain current written analysis protocols for the Twomey Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir wine programs.
o Perform complete analysis of all lots and any analytical request by Winemaker or Cellar Master.
o Participate in cellar activities as time allows with draining/pressing tanks, operating crush equipment and helping with pump overs and punch downs or wine additions.
• Participation in meetings with Lab personnel from OV and AV facilities to develop/improve protocols, enhance QC programs, explore experimental ideas, and streamline all Lab needs.
• Collect multiple barrel and tank samples which may require the use of forklift or scissor-lift.
• Conducts fermentation, blending, fining, filtration, and bottling trials as directed.
• Participation in tasting events and activities as needed.
• Maintaining a safe and clean work environment both in the lab and cellar.
• Participation in safety and protocol trainings to improve cellar and lab standards, enhance efficiency and streamline production needs.
• Winemaker’s Database (WMBD) analysis input for Twomey Healdsburg.
• AgCode data entry during harvest.
CELLAR RESPONSIBILITIES (30%):
• Performs cellar work and assists with any and all areas of production during the year as needed including: punch-downs and pump-overs, pressings, racking/filling, barrel work, cellar cleaning/sanitation, wine additions, wine transfers, etc.
• Bachelor’s degree (B.S) in Fermentation Science and/or equivalent years of experience.
• Minimum of two internships with experience in lab and cellar.
• Working knowledge of laboratory instrumentation and troubleshooting, and wine laboratory analysis.
• Knowledge of wines and wine production.
• Proficient on Winemaker’s Database, Microsoft Office, including Excel, MSWord.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical procedures.
• Acute attention to detail.
• Demonstrated ability to calculate figures and amounts.
• Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skill.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to manage priorities, workflow, and meet deadlines.
• Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
• Ability to understand any and all safety requirements and cautions.
• Ability to perform the physical labor necessary.
• Commitment to excellence and high standards.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following:
• Walk, kneel, bend, and stand.
• Stand for extended periods of time.
• Lift and/or move up to 60 pounds.
• Climb stairs.
• Work is mainly performed both in a normal lab environment and in winery cellar or outdoors.
• Noise levels are usually moderate but may be moderate to high at times.
• A percentage of work time may be spent in a cellar where temperatures are cool and noise level is usually moderate.
• Floors may be wet and slippery, proper footwear is required.
• Work may include handling caustic/corrosive chemicals.
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
|Contact Info||Qualified candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Contact Address||120 Foss Creek Circle|
Return to Main List