Welcome 'Guest' to the Department of Viticulture & Enology Employment Bulletin Board
New Job Listings provided by the industry will be posted here for our students and alumni to view.
Return to Main List
|Title||QC Bottling Technician|
|Employer||LangeTwins Family Winery & Vineyards|
|Employment Location||Acampo, California|
|Company Description||LangeTwins Family Winery & Vineyards (LTFWV), a fast-growing, multigenerational, sustainably certified winemaking and viticulture organization, is seeking a QC Bottling Technician.|
|Employment Start Date||02/27/2017|
|Job Description|| Under general supervision, the QC Bottling Technician will be an active and positive part of the Bottling team to ensure product quality standards are met through the tasting and quantitative analysis of all wines prepared for bottling. Key responsibilities of this position are: (1) Responsible for Quality Assurance and Control related to the complete bottling process: label compliance review, lab analysis, wine additions, bottling start up and monitoring the line throughout the day until completion; (2) Clearly communicate to Bottling and Winemaking team any issues or potential delays that will affect wine or final package quality or production; (3) Maintain daily/weekly schedules and wine tank board for wines prepared for bottling; |
The ideal candidate for this role must possess knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of bottling QC/QA, wine production, wine chemistry, lab analysis techniques, and basic viticulture. In addition, this position requires strong organizational skills, communication, teamwork, attention to detail, fluency in computer operations, flexibility, and an ability to apply independent judgement in high pressure situations, all while following safety and PPE requirements.
• Start the bottling line through wine tasting, bottle specification confirmation, and final product review
• Calculate and issue cellar work orders for wine additions to prepare wines for bottling (based on wine tasting and lab analysis)
• Conduct label compliance review, lab analysis, wine additions, and the bottling line start-up; monitor the bottling line throughout the day until projects are complete
• Arrive to work 30 minutes prior to bottling line start time; communicate to Bottling and Winemaking any issues or potential delays which change the bottling production schedule or affect wine or final package quality
• Assist with developing and planning bottling activities with Winemaking
• Work with Winemaking to coordinate and communicate bottling and analysis information and cellar activities
• Review and complete all wine analysis to ensure adherence to specification parameters in order to meet production schedule
• Fill-out all forms or documents which support the bottling process clearly and accurately
• Manage work orders to ensure proper cellar work allocation and efficiency to stage wine for bottling and minimize production downtime; communicate and log any issues that may affect production.
• Review bottling schedule and pre-bottling compliance for all wine to be bottled
• Conduct all QC lab activities and analysis as needed in a timely and accurate method following QC Lab protocols and safety procedures; post analysis to AMS (winemaking software)
• Taste wine and review analysis for pre-bottling condition and issue work order to make needed adjustment to maintain health and desired style of wine when it is bottled. (SO2/O2/CO2/wine temp/filterability/etc.); communicate any issues that may affect production or quality to Winemaking and Bottling line Manager
• Assist with monitoring line performance from the start to the finished pallet, review dry goods integrity, complete bottle product evaluation and associated forms.
• Work with the Bottling Line Manager to resolve any QC issues
• Complete all QA/QC forms daily and distribute as needed
• Maintain “QC hold” wine cellar and clearly label all samples
• Assist in developing procedures and protocols for existing and new equipment
• Monitor and review lab supplies to ensure adequate inventories and continuous operation
• Maintain all lab equipment using a daily/weekly/monthly calendar to insure the proper running and consistent accuracy of each piece
• Run control sample as required by protocols and review results with prior analysis to help monitor accuracy, lab technique and reproducibility of results
• Be flexible in job responsibilities to accept work outside of the job description
• General housekeeping to keep lab area clean and clear
• Maintain a clean and sanitized environment to insure sterile plating is not contaminated or compromised
• Create a calendar to pull wine samples at proper intervals for plating
• Use proper sterile techniques to plate daily wine samples
• Incubate and read microbial growth on plates. Record and report results when plates are read
• Schedule periodic ATP testing of line and bottling facility to monitor cleanliness and sterility
• Demonstrate a commitment to safety through active involvement in the Safety Committee; follow all safety requirements and PPE usage.
• Apply general housekeeping techniques to keep all work areas clean and clear
• Be flexible in job responsibilities to accept work outside of the job description as assigned by management.
Qualifications & Experience
• B.S. degree in Fermentation Science, Food Science or a field of related degree/production
• Production winery experience: harvest/lab
• Knowledge of fundamentals of wine production, wine chemistry, lab analysis techniques, viticulture, grape varieties
• Ability to work independently as well as in collaboration with others in a positive and professional manner
• Willing to work with a flexible schedule and extended hours when needed
• Computer proficiency: MS Word/Excel/Experience with a winemaking database a plus
• Math proficiency: ratios, percentages, fraction, algebra
• Proficient in English reading/writing/communication
• Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment while maintaining a high level of detail is required on an ongoing basis to meet project deadlines
• Must be capable of using independent judgement when necessary
• Valid driver’s license and clean DMV record
• Required to lift and move product/equipment weighing up to 45 lbs.
• Skilled in writing business correspondence, reports, procedure manuals
|Contact Info||To apply and for consideration, please send your resume to the email listed below.|
|Contact Address||1298 W Jahant Rd, Acampo, CA 95220|
|Other Information|| Physical Requirements and Work Environment:|
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand for extended period of time, use hands to finger/handle/feel, use computer, talk and hear. The employee is regularly required to walk, reach with hands and arms, and bend at mid-waist. The employee must lift up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to detect, distinguish, and determine tastes and smells.
In addition, the setting for this job is within a general manufacturing plant environment. The employee is usually in an indoor setting such as a lab, cellar, or bottling area and will frequently ascend/descend stairs and work atop catwalk with exposure to outdoor conditions. Working conditions in certain areas of the winery are cold, wet, slippery and noisy. This position will have exposure to various chemicals in production areas and to machinery, forklifts, and related production equipment. The employee will work irregular shifts and long hours may be required.
LangeTwins Winery & Vineyard (LTW) is an equal opportunity employer. LTW does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above is a general outline of the responsibilities of this position; it is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required for this position. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time, at the Company’s sole and absolute discretion with or without prior notice.
Return to Main List